Monday, August 24, 2020

How have you coped in the time of COVID?


Well, who would have thought the year would progress as it has.  Cancelled exhibitions.  Restricted travel.  Weddings funerals and baby showers were missed or zoomed.  I live on the border of NSW and Victoria.  I can't cross the river to visit friends or family.  

 But it is  all in a good cause.  One way or another we must try to get on top of  COVID - 19.

My adult kids have returned home and are studying on line.  My partner works  at home on line.

Staying at home and making art is one way of passing time. Why have I struggled with such a wonderful opportunity?   


I've worked out I'm time line driven.  My social and art calendar fell empty.   Two exhibitions have been postponed until next year.  A third was delayed and now will happen at the end of the month on line.   I will put up a post with links when it is open. 


Add to the mix that I was unfortunate to actually catch the virus and it took me out of action for 6 weeks and left me with lingering fatigue.   I had daily medical support isolated at home.   It made me wonder how others, who are not as fortunate, cope.  As you can guess no art happened in this period.    

A saving grace was  the art communities that appeared on Facebook that shared small challenges ( a plug to Together, We Play) and emails that kept me in touch what everyone was up to.  

I have been trying to make daily mini collages.  No overthinking.  Something about the size of the palm of my hand or smaller and using what is to hand on the desk or near by.   When I think about it I have been pushing issues of  my personal art process by undertaking this project.  There are elements in these tiny works  I would like to repeat in larger experimental studies.   


Now I'm recovering and  again focusing on those delayed exhibitions - now scheduled for March and May 2021.  I will post more on that later.

Keep safe every one.


Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a self portrait

Not quite a self portrait
small 8' quiltlet with embroidered hair

Blog Archive