Sunday, September 21, 2008

Arabesque


Arabesque can mean either a geometric pattern or a swirly "S" shape. This was the theme of the quilts created by Filament which are being hung in St Vincents Hospital gallery corridor next week. They will stay there for a month, Here are photos of my pieces. They are machine pieced, hand and machine quilted, hand embellished and red and yellow quilt has a little paint on it. The yellow stars are raw edged appliqued as are the blue circles.

Both quilts are a play with tile patterns anfd the secondary patterns which are revealed when certian apsects are high lighted.


For want of anything better I called this Arabesque Red. The star patterns is very clear and, sadly, overshadows the tree of life I have machine drawn over the square red and yellow tiles.
The other quilt which is detailed above is called Arabesque Blue.

Now I have done these I will put all the patterns I collected on the back burner so to speak and let them peculate away. After a month or two of stitching these I am heading back to working on sea shells.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a self portrait

Not quite a self portrait
small 8' quiltlet with embroidered hair

Blog Archive