Monday, August 6, 2012

Stitch In at the Tops


I had a fantastic weekend in the company of members of the Embroiderers' Guild NSW at Stanwell Tops (near Helensburg).  I spent 2 days exploring stitches with Judith Langdon and came home happy and tired.

The facilities were in a beautiful  bush surrounds with tall gum tress - we could even  see the ocean from the balcony of the building we we in.



A  few of us were entertained by a lyrebird that seem to scurry past our window at regular intervals.  I did manage a couple of short walks but  really didn't really take full advantage of the grounds - we were stitching from 9 - 5!   


The Stitch In was organised by Judith (who is one of the fund raising team for the Embroiders Guild) as a fund raiser for the Guild's exciting refurbishment project. Members are working towards fund raising - the end result of our efforts will be a building with three levels; a public space and gallery on the ground floor, then a research level which will contain the library, the museum containing a significant collection of textiles) and a top floor containing rooms for workshops and meetings.

Judith and the other tutors - Wendy Fuller and Margret Stephens - donated their time free of charge.  Thank you.

I would show you my explorations but I couldn't find it when I got home -  I am hoping that I left it behind as the other alternative is that I lost in on my travels home on the train.  Keeping my fingers crossed it was picked up at the Tops in the final clean up.  I discovered and practised stitches not in my usual repertoire  - which was not hard as it consists largely of running and chain stitch!  I found that I really like what can be done with up and down button hole stitch - especially when it becomes irregular.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not quite a self portrait

Not quite a self portrait
small 8' quiltlet with embroidered hair

Blog Archive